Dubbed the monkey-bread tree or upside-down tree due to the tree’s crown resembling its roots, spreading upwards from its trunk. Baobab is the most splendid and beautiful of all trees indigenous to the African Savannah. It is sometimes called the Tree of Life. This intriguing and iconic tree has been admired for years not just for its beauty but for its medicinal, nutritional, and cosmetic value.
Baobab oil is derived from cold-pressing oil extraction from the baobab fruit pulp. Cold-pressing does not involve heat or chemical treatments and therefore does not alter the nutritive or therapeutic properties. It is characterized by its golden yellow color, silky feel, and very subtle nutty scent.
Composition beneficial for the skin:
- Baobab seed oil is an essential source of vitamins A, C, D, E, F, and K. These various vitamins are said to promote cell renewal, anti-aging properties, and also boost collagen production.
- Baobab seed oil possesses antioxidant, regenerative and anti-inflammatory properties due to its fatty acid composition. The fatty acid in baobab oil consists of saturated, monosaturated, and polyunsaturated fatty acids.
- Baobab seed oil is incredibly unique due to its balanced proportion of oleic and linoleic unsaturated fatty acids with stabilizing palmitic saturated fatty acids. The linoleic acid present maintains transepidermal water loss (TEWL).
- Baobab seed oil contains high concentrations of Omega 6 and 9, which promote skin firmness via the synthesis of collagen.
- Baobab is less prone to oxidation compared to some other fixed oils, due to its antioxidant properties expressed by its phytosterols, extending its shelf life.
Various research has shown the “beauty in baobab”, outlining its safety, and the efficacy of baobab seed oil in topical application.
Other mineral components found in baobab are Calcium, Magnesium and Potassium, with the latter being the highest.
Advantages of using Baobab seed oil on your skin:
- To improve skin tone and elasticity.
- To repair and promote a healthy skin barrier.
- To alleviate sunburn and damaged skin.
- To soothe acne, eczema and rosacea conditions.
- To combat the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- To restore and moisturize the skin.
- Baobab seed oil benefits many skin types including dry, sensitive, and mature skin.
- An excellent skin conditioner.
- Promotes rejuvenation.
Baobab seed oil is one of the most prominent and luxurious oils in Africa. Although there are reports of an increase in global demand for Baobab oil around the world, from my experience, I have not witnessed any surge in popularity in the cosmetic sector in North America.
If you would like to introduce Baobab seed oil to your skincare routine and reap its benefits, try our DREAMER serum, a luxurious refining serum with essential fatty acids and GLA such as black cumin and evening primrose. This serum restores your skin’s natural radiance, promoting skin clarity and a rejuvenated-looking complexion.